Follow the journey of a mom in her mid-forties, as she hits the trail to try to get and stay healthy - mentally and physically!

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Trying Something New

I'm a simple girl, and the kind of person who often finds myself in a rut, especially when it comes to food. I could happily eat the same thing day after day, so I force myself to try new ingredients and recipes. It keeps the rest of the family from getting bored, helps to ensure that I'm getting nutrition I need, not to mention that it's a great way to find new menus for backpacking trips.

I tried quinoa for the first time at my Sister and Brother and Law's house this past Christmas and I'm hooked. It's an awesome source of protein, has been labeled a "Super Food" by experts, and it tastes so good. Most grocery stores carry some sort of a quinoa salad but it's super easy to make at home, not to mention cheaper. I just follow the directions of the back of the quinoa box and start adding stuff. It's just like making rice but, it seems to me, a little more forgiving.

I whipped up my favourite recipe (so far) at home this morning and brought it to work. One of these days, I'm going to try making it on the trail, but waking up to rain after a sleepless night, on a day when I have the late shift at work, means that lunch at my desk will have to do.


Meanwhile, on the homefront, Bacpacdad took Bacpacbaby for a walk in the rain today. I hate it when I miss out on playing in puddles with the kiddos!

Thanks for joining me today!
bpj






Recipe of the day

Bacpacjac's Favourite Quinoa Salad Recipe


Source:  http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Quinoa-Salad-with-Dried-Cranberries-and-Feta-517780?columns=4&position=21%2F56

Ingredients

    • 4 cups quinoa (cooked and cooled)
    • green onions (finely sliced)
    • 1/2 cucumber (large, sliced and quartered. I ship these because they repeat on me.)
    • 1/4 cup walnuts (toasted - I prefer cashews)
    • 1/4 cup dried cranberries  (I add raisins too)
    • 1/3 cup low-fat feta (crumbled)
    • 1 cup baby spinach (roughly chopped)
    • 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil (I usually use sesame oil instead)
    • 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
    • 1 tbsp lemon juice
    • salt
    • pepper
    • fresh basil (optional - I prefer parsley)
  • Directions

Put it all in a bowl, mix and enjoy. LOL! 

No comments:

Post a Comment