Follow the journey of a mom in her mid-forties, as she hits the trail to try to get and stay healthy - mentally and physically!

Monday, May 12, 2014

Not letting fail win!



I woke up with the best of intentions today. I was going to go for a sunrise walk before I went to the office but I was too tired so I slept in instead. I was going to have a healthy well-balanced breakfast, but I was slept in, so had a coffee and half a cream cheese bagel on the way to work instead. I made my lunch last night, but I slept in and forgot it in the fridge. Three fails and the day had barely started. (One fail and several consequences?)

No problem, I thought, I'll get myself back on track when I get home tonight. I planned to make fish tacos for dinner but my son complained and asked for something else. I thought we could go for a walk after dinner, but the girl fell asleep at dinner after a day at the park with her dad, and the boy wanted to go play outside with his friends instead. So. Much. Fail.

No. Not really. Both of the kids had a blast playing outside today, and my hubby got out there too. I got some much needed extra sleep, only ate half my bagel on the way to work and when I got to my desk I had a big glass of OJ and a cup of yogurt with some peaches and a hand full of trail mix.  I also replaced my forgotten lunch with a spinach salad during a quick stop to the grocery store at 6am. All wins, I'd say.

I did fail at getting outside for a walk though, unless you count walking back and forth to the Jeep from the house, office and grocery store. Instead, we had a dance party in the kitchen, followed by a game of Follow the Leader around the house while dinner defrosted. We were lead by a little girl and the cool new cardboard box her big brother brought home from school for her. I was moving and breathing hard for about a half an hour, and we all had super fun, so it totally meets my daily exercise goals! HA! Take that Fail!!







After the morning bagel slip, I got back on track with breakfast and then had a big spinach salad for lunch. I didn't make fish tacos for dinner though. I had them yesterday when the boys and Abby took my mom and I out for Mother's Day. They had lots of pineapple, mango, red onion, avocado, cilantro and baked white fish - healthy and yummy! I thought it would be a perfect meal tonight when my husband, who hates fish, wouldn't be home. Alas, Jonas had another request - pea soup. We had it last week and we all loved it, so I thawed the leftovers tonight. It's soo good! (The recipe is below if you're interested.) Jonas and I loved it, but Abby wore herself out at the park and running around the house, and fell asleep in her highchair while eating dinner.

So, all and all, I'd say it was a great day. There's a chocolate brownie staring my down right now though. I'm trying my best to resist it but my achy knees and back and telling me that just one bite wouldn't hurt. Hmmm.....

Have an inspiring day!
bpj

Recipe of the Day

Original recipe from Canadian Living Magazine

Quebecois-style Pea Soup

Prep time30 minutes

  • Total time2 hours 30 minutes
  • Portion size4 to 6

  • Ingredients

    • 1 lb 1lb(454 g) (454 g) unsmoked ham hock
    • 2 tbsp 2tbsp(30 mL) (30 mL) butter
    • 2 2carrotcarrots, diced
    • 2 2ribs celery, diced
    • 1 1oniononions, diced
    • 2 2cloves garlic, minced
    • 1-3/4 cups 1-3/4cups(425 mL) (425 mL) dried yellow split peas
    • 2 2bay leafbay leaves
    • 1 tsp 1tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) dried savory or dried thyme
    • 3/4 tsp 3/4tsp(4 mL) (4 mL) salt
    • 1/4 tsp 1/4tsp(1 mL) (1 mL) pepper

    Directions
    Trim off and discard skin from ham hock; set hock aside.

    In large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; cook carrots, celery, onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 15 minutes.

    Stir in split peas, bay leaves, savory, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

    Stir in 8 cups water; add ham hock. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are very soft and soup is thickened, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

    Discard bay leaves. Transfer ham hock to plate; let cool enough to handle. Discarding bone and any fat, dice meat and return to soup; heat through.

    *After I've returned the ham to the pot and am ready to heat it through, I also add about a quarter to a half a cup each of frozen corn nibblets and cooked bacon. (It goes soggy after a while in the soup, so I make it crispy.)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment