Follow the journey of a mom in her mid-forties, as she hits the trail to try to get and stay healthy - mentally and physically!

Friday, May 30, 2014

For the Love of Oatmeal




I love oatmeal! Instant or old fashioned, rolled or steel cut, it matters not to me. Maybe it's my Irish and Scottish roots, but could eat it every day. I especially enjoy making oatmeal when I'm on the trail or in camp. I almost always have some in my food kit. As long as you can boil water, it's a yummy, convenient and stick-to-your-ribs snack or meal. It's easy to pack and make, and there are so many way to prepare it that I never get bored.

Yesterday, I simply brought a package of Quaker instant Maple and Brown Sugar. It's not the most creative or bushcrafty but it made for a super easy and tasty breakfast. It also got my taste buds and culinary wheels turning.

Given the choice and the time, I prefer steel cut oats. When they're a al dente, they're a little chewy, and I really like that. (If the spoon can stand up in it, it's perfect oatmeal, in my opinion!) One of the downsides has been that steel cut oats take longer to cook than rolled oats. I don't mind a longer cooking time at home or when I have a campfire, by most of the time when I'm on the trail, I want something instant to save fuel. A couple of years ago, I discovered quick cooking steel cut oats and they were like a gift from heaven for this backpacker.



Decisions, Decisions!

When it comes to toppings, the choices are endless. Milk or cream, fruit, nuts, sweeteners, peanut butter, jam...  I even know guys who adds bacon and sausage to his. Personally, I like mine a little sweet and crunchy. Maple syrup and trail mix are my personal favourites. bacpacboy loves making a s'mores version with chocolate and mini marshmallows. For family outings, we bring a little flask of maple syrup and sometimes even use hot chocolate instead of water or milk.



S'more's oatmeal: one of bacpacboy's favourites

Of course, when it comes right down to it, simple is usually wonderful. for quicker trail prep, I often pack my uncooked oats in a container with a little powered milk and a shot of brown sugar and cinnamon. So easy. So good!




Have an inspiring day!
bpj

No comments:

Post a Comment