Follow the journey of a mom in her mid-forties, as she hits the trail to try to get and stay healthy - mentally and physically!

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!


Happy Mother's Day, my friends! I hope you're having a wonderful day!



I saw this meme last night and it really spoke to me. One of the biggest challenges to this new solo hiking routine, is that I feel tremendous guilt every second I'm out there unless the kiddos are with me. Every second. Even if I just take a 20 minute walk by myself. It makes me feel better. It clears my head so I can shift gears to go back to giving my full energies to all those other priorities, but still I feel guilty.

This motherhood gig is a tough one. I love it, I truly do, but it isn't easy. I feel like I need to be doing something for my family all the time, either with them, taking care of the house, organizing the family calendar, supervising homework, going to work, etc. I feel like I am never doing enough for them. Talk about being your toughest critic! Of course, having a newborn and postpartum depression amplified those feelings. I really felt like I was losing myself after Abby was born. Life became all about meeting one demand after another, taking care of everyone else and not taking care of myself.

Most mothers that I know regularly put themselves last on their priority list, but when doing that comes at the expense of your mental and physical health, something's got to change. I think if you ask my husband and kids, they'd tell you that I'm a happier person today that I was a year ago. Specifically, I have more energy and more patience, and I feel better about myself.  After some pretty dark days, I feel like I'm moving back in the direction of becoming the mom I want to be. 

Happy Mother's Day!
bpj

No comments:

Post a Comment