Follow the journey of a mom in her mid-forties, as she hits the trail to try to get and stay healthy - mentally and physically!

Friday, May 16, 2014

Our Bodies, Ourselves




Someone innocently called my daughter's legs "chunky" this week. To be precise, she said "I just want to squeeze those chunky little baby legs!" Tickles, giggling and smiles ensued. It was all good, but it got me thinking about how Abby's going to feel about her body as she grows up and into a woman. (And also, why is it that we feel the need to qualify body parts with descriptions of them like "chunky". I mean, Abby only has one set of legs, right?)

I fight the battle against a negative self-image, as so many woman do, and I have my good days and bad. My body and the way I feel about it is a reflection of that constant battle. I don't want that for my daughter. When the chunk comment was made, I had a moment of overwhelming realization of the magnitude of what it means to be the mother of a daughter. Specifically, I realized that the way I feel about my own body is going to be a big influence on her and how she thinks about hers.

That's a big part of what motivates this blog, and more importantly, why I do the things I share in this blog. I want to be a good role model for Abby. I want to teach her to understand that life is a journey, and to take pride in who she is. As I try to moderate my own inner voice, I pray that hers will be more compassionate.

A couple of months ago, I joined a bunch of women who are trying to improve their bodies through healthy lifestyles. It's not a Weight Watcher's type group. We're a group of friends, some old and some new, who help keep each other motivated and inspired. We're tying to be healthier by living healthier lifestyles. We're exercising more, eating healthier, sleeping more, and basically trying to feel better. I don't think any of us is trying to achieve an ideal body, but I suspect we all judge ourselves based on whatever our own perception of that perfect body is.

The powerful video below moved me to tears this afternoon.Wouldn't it be nice if someday we could all come to accept that our bodies are only a part of who we are? Or, better yet, come to think of our bodies as a living history of ourselves, including our victories, our battle scares and the ongoing journey. We should take care of them and wear them proudly!

Have an inspiring day!
bpj





No comments:

Post a Comment