Follow the journey of a mom in her mid-forties, as she hits the trail to try to get and stay healthy - mentally and physically!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Morning Hike and a Safety Reminder

I woke up this morning with a splitting headache. It was raining, with a forecast of thunderstorms. That explains the headache. There's rain in the forecast every day this week, so going back to bed wasn't a solution even though that's exactly what I wanted to do. I had a couple of hours before I needed to be at the office and everyone else was sleeping, so I took at couple of Tylenol and a big glass of water, grabbed my little hiking kit, my rain jacket and a travel mug of coffee and went to find a trail near the office.



There's a bunch of trails near the office and I picked one that I hadn't been on in a while. It drizzled on and off while I was out, but it was very peaceful. The birds were loving it, and provided a nice morning soundtrack for a walk along the bluffs.



The snails were out in full force.

This one appears to have met a painful end - almost bird food maybe, and now ant food?
The circle of life. It was another of those moments when I wished the kids were with me.


It didn't take long to run into a roadblock. This area has two trails - a paved bike path and an unpaved footpath, which runs along the edge of the bluffs. Do you follow the trail or the sign?


Always pay attention to warning signs. They're usually there for a reason. Some people think this sign is left-over from winter, and the icy snowy conditions that make the trail slippery and hard to see. While those are indeed a few of the reasons for this sign, it's also there because the cliff is eroding, and many people have gotten too close, had the ground disappear under their feet, and ending up needing the assistance of Search and Rescue teams. Not worth the risk, in my opinion. I took a different route. Stay safe and have fun!




My headache seemed to disappear while I was out there, but the relief didn't last long. I left work early and came home to bed. After sleeping for a few hours, I woke up feeling human again. Hubby gets bonus points for taking the girl out so I could have a quiet house, and also for picking up dinner while they were out. A marinated flattened chicken is a simple dinner solution. Into a 375 oven for an hour, steam some potatoes, peas and corn to go with it and dinner is ready. Simple, easy and tasty. There's even left-overs for lunch tomorrow! Way to go, honey!

Thanks for joining me today!
bpj


No comments:

Post a Comment